Hospitality Industry Inquiry
The Hospitality Inquiry will consider the experience of fair work in the industry and how this could be improved for the benefit of both employers and workers. Fair Work is defined by the Fair Work Framework.
This 18-month inquiry will be delivered by Scotland’s Fair Work Convention, and will aim to establish the extent to which work in the industry can be described as fair work. The inquiry will make recommendations for changes to practices which will help the sector to attract and keep the best talent, continuing to make Scotland a world class visitor destination.
The Fair Work in Hospitality Inquiry Group is set up to assess relevant evidence, consult appropriate stakeholders, identify key issues and actions, consider feasible interventions, and develop recommendations for Ministers and the industry.
The objectives for the Hospitality Inquiry are:
- To consider current worker experience in the sector and the extent of fair work across all five dimensions (Opportunity, Security, Fulfilment, Effective Voice, Respect).
- To consider employer experience of employing and managing a workforce and understand the long term aims and ambitions of the sector.
- To understand barriers to fair work in the sector whilst also recognising examples of positive fair work and how to replicate this to the wider hospitality sector.
- To determine any levers (government and non-government) and other mechanisms for promoting/improving fair work for all employees in the sector, including voluntary agreement.
- To develop recommendations for employers, employer bodies, unions, workers, Ministers and other public agencies to deliver fair work in the hospitality sector.
- To raise awareness, and promote delivery of fair work amongst employers and employees in the hospitality sector.
The Inquiry was launched in June 2022
The Inquiry Group comprises of representatives from the Fair Work Convention, employers, workers, national bodies engaged in the industry, and trade unions.
|Co-chair – Linda Johnston||Auchrannie Resort|
|Co-chair – Satnam Ner||Prospect and Fair Work Convention|
|Caitlin Alexandria Lee||Hospitality Worker, Glasgow Branch Unite Hospitality|
|Violeta Andeme||Hotel Worker, Spanish citizen from Equatorial Guinea|
Heriot-Watt University Student Union - Student Union President
|Tom Baum||University of Strathclyde|
|Carina Contini||Contini Edinburgh|
|Marc Crothall||The Scottish Tourism Alliance|
|Lawrence Durden||Skills Development Scotland|
|Anna Hirvonen||Living Wage Scotland|
|Mike Jones||Stand Comedy Club|
|Catherine Jones||Grassmarket Community Project|
|Susan Martindale||Mitchells and Butlers|
|Mark McHugh||Bakers Food and Allied Workers Union|
|Bryan Simpson||Unite Scotland Hospitality|
|Moira Tasker||Inclusion Scotland|
|Paul Togneri||Scottish Beer and Pub Association|
|David Trotter||Sodexo Live!|
|Chris Wayne-Wills||Crerar Hotels|
|Tam Wilson||Better than Zero|